Critical Reading and Information Literacy
Students' use of self-selected texts in research projects is often shallow, demonstrating a lack of deep understanding of authors' arguments, conceptual frameworks, methods, and conclusions. In a collaboration between QEP and EKU libraries, this session will offer ideas for facilitating student research projects by promoting metacognitive strategies to help students select, read, analyze, and synthesize scholarly articles and other research materials.
- Identity purposes in assigning research projects
- Review research on students' use of self-selected texts in research projects
- Identify challenges in working with self-selected texts in classes
- Practice metacognitive strategies to help students read self-selected texts more critically
- Discuss strategies for providing feedback on students' use of self-selected texts in their writing